The Ephemeral Butterfly


In my mind Butterflies and humans have much in common. They both have humble beginnings, can be somewhat unattractive and destructive during the early stages, but almost always turn out to be beautiful.

At least Butterflies always do. Even the lowly moth has a quiet elegance.

I once was fortunate enough to observe a butterfly emerge from its cocoon. As I freed it from the jar which contained its chrysalis incubator it remained for a moment perched before my eyes on the tip of my forefinger. It was a lovely soft black with blue highlights.

I watched entranced as it slowly moved it’s tiny wings. It did not fly away. I fancied in my mind that it stayed perched on my finger in communion with me to say thank you for freeing it from the jar.

Latter, I learned it was just drying it’s wings before it flew away and disappeared.

Imagine being so small and creating so much wonder.
Because of my love and fascination for these amazingly beautiful creatures I feature them often in my art. I didn’t notice I was doing this at first, but after awhile it became obvious. ( See my Etsy Gallery)

Perhaps by including butterflies (and other lovely insects) in my designs I am affirming my belief that there is the opportunity in life for all of us to grow and redeem ourselves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love butterflies too. Happy 4th weekend - Hope yours is blessed there where you are - xJ

MaidenShade.wordpress.com

The French Bear said...

What a lovely, well written post. Very interesting analogy of the wing drying!!! I just wanted to pop over and say thank you for stopping by and leaving such a warm and comforting comment. I look forward to getting to know you! It really is a lovely place, this Blogland, where I have met and befriended so many truly inspiring and wonderful people!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Related Posts with Thumbnails